Welcome to Emmanuel Lutheran Church - Aspelund, MN. We are a member of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations. (AFLC)
"At Emmanuel we desire that people come to know the Lord Jesus in a personal way by faith, that they grow in their relationship with Him, and that they show His love to others through the way they conduct their lives."
(Please click on the Calendar tab to see the schedule.)
Please join us for worship!
* * Notice: * *
New Worship time is 10:45 a.m.
Coffee hour at 10:00.
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, AFLC
42957 County 1 Boulevard
Kenyon, MN 55946
Pastor Lyle Aadahl
Our Church History . . .
Emmanuel Lutheran Church
1862 – 2016
“Jesus Christ, the same
yesterday and today and forever.”
Remember . . Renew . . Revive
History . .
The first Norwegian immigrants arrived in Wanamingo Township in 1854. In 1859 a church group was organized by Rev. A. L. Boyum of the Hauge Synod. The synod originated in Norway and was named after Hans Nielsen Hauge, a Norwegian minister who preached against the spiritually dead state church. The first baby baptized was Gunhild Andria, Osten Hanson's daughter, on March 7, 1861. The first wedding recorded was on September 22, 1861, between Hargus Osmundsen and Ingegorg Halvorsdatter (Odengaarden). The first confirmant was Gertrude Andersdatter, daughter of Anders Larssen Walsvig, on November 29, 1861. Osten Hanson became the first ordained pastor.
July 9, 1862, was the first formal organization of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Wanamingo. On November 20, 1862, one acre of land was purchased for $20.00 from Henry Sands (as known as Knut Olsen Wing) for a church and cemetery. The first burial occured on November 25, 1862, the wife and infant son of Johannes Johannessen Lee. By 1863 the first church building was erected and a Sunday School established, as well as an inner mission fund to support Christian laymen. The name was changed to "Emmanuel Menighed to Town of Wanamingo" in 1875. In 1877 the first meeting of the Emmanuel Ladies Aid was held. These usually were all day long and held in the members homes. Men were also included! A sister church was organized in 1878 at Roscoe, at first called South Prairie Chapel and later named Stordahl.
Rev. Osten Hanson died in 1898 after a long life of serving the Wanamingo community. A parsonage was purchased in Kenyon around 1898. The worship service was changed to the English language during the ministry of Rev. M. A. Hall. A large remodeling project was completed in 1961 to the east side of the church. During the ministry of Rev. Ray Larson, the congregation withdrew from the American Lutheran Church Synod. The church voted to withdraw from the Minnesota Council of Churches. In 1971, Emmanuel joined the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations. In 2002, a two part project of a ramp and lift was begun and completed in 2003. Recently, a new entryway and conference room has been added on the north side of the church.